Monday 27 January 2014

A bit of mystery in York...

As I previously said I wanted write a bit about the books that I read.

I have an eclectic mix of books and have a massive wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookcases in my dining room. Books are certainly my biggest vice (other than hoarding stuff which 'could be great for crafting'!)

The book I have just finished was called 'The guilt of innocents' by Candace Robb which was part of her Owen Archer series of books. I didn't realise there was a whole series of them until I wanted to know the back story of the protagonist, Owen Archer.

The book is set in my current city, York in 1372, and I am always keen to see how true to life the city is depicted in fiction. Robb has done this well and uses a lot of key details that the well-versed local would know to be true such as the original site of St Peters School and where barge men used to gather at that time.

The book is fast paced and full of intrigue which is reminiscent of reading a novel by Ellis Peters. If you enjoy a Medieval Murder Mystery then this is the book for you. However, I would recommend that you start somewhere other than the ninth book in the series (which this one is!) if you like to know the background of your characters and need to know why Owen Archer only has one eye!

If you are interested this book can be purchased on amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guilt-Innocents-Owen-Archer-Mysteries/dp/0099497891/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1390854471&sr=8-9
Let me know if you enjoy it!





No comments:

Post a Comment