Tuesday 28 January 2014

A bunting we will go!

When I first got my sewing machine I was desperate to make something that was quick, easy and simple ... Plus it needed to be something that I could not muck up in any way. So I decided I needed to make some bunting.

As I have previously mentioned I am a massive bookworm and I feel that books solve most problems so I bought a book on how to make bunting.

In hindsight I realise that I possibly didn't need a book but it seemed a great idea at the time. Some of the more complicated ones look great though!

I had a fat quarter of some cake fabric which I bought from ebay, a metre of bias binding (readily available from hobbycraft or any other haberdashery) and a triangle template.

I made the template slightly bigger than the bunting I wanted to finish up with (allowing for seams). I drew out 12 triangles and cut them out. I sewed around the two longest edges. I then turned them inside out. I then pressed them.

It has only been since I started sewing that I have realised how useful having a small travel iron to hand. There always seem to be seams to press and you don't want to be getting out your massive laundry one every time as pressing can take seconds. The one I use is linked at the bottom.  If I had my own way and had a craft room I would have an ironing board and iron always out -I will have to continue dreaming!

After pressing lay out the triangles in the order you want them. Take your bias binding. Press it in
half (which can be tricky so watch your fingers!) the place the triangles between the two folds if the binding and pin in place.

Then run the bunting through your sewing machine making sure the triangles are square inside the binding.

And viola! Your bunting!

I want to experiment with some other types soon so I'll let you know how it goes!

Travel iron: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4103336.htm
Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/177390311/cupcake-bunting


https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/177390311/cupcake-bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment